Monday, February 11, 2013

When you work at a library...

I am employed at my local library.  It is a great job, and one of the perks is all the new knitting books I stumble upon. Recently my knitting endeavors have found the interest of a few people at work.  Now instead of having to acquire the knitting books myself, they do it for me.
That is in the hopes that I will make everything from that book for them :D
The current book that I have been hoarding in my apartment is this one
I have been working my way through it rather quickly (obviously...)
I only stumbled upon one pattern that drove me nuts, and I actually tossed the whole piece, on account it was so small and ruined and not worth saving... (it was the little loopy lion face) I just couldn't figure out the loop stitch, I had never seen a stitch like that before, and my only complaint against the book is tossing in some advanced stitch work and not explaining it.  At all.
Kinda made me upset.
Anyway, here are the few things I have tried out:

A funky little teddy bear with no face...
and a mean looking little cat!


The teddy bear was really easy to make, I knit the whole thing in the round on a pair of double pointed needles.  The pattern called for just knitting it straight, but seam lines always look so messy, so I opted for a neater look.  
By the way, the bear does have a face now, and he looks like a koala bear, and that is a good thing.


This teeny little kitty just looks mean.
I love it.
It is so small and cute and moody, just like a real cat!

I have tackled a few other projects from the book, some little flowers and birds and stuff.
I only had a few issues with the book, the ones I stated above, struggling with a new stitch in a pattern that is not a usual stitch and is not explained or demonstrated  Also, for some reason the designer decided to just knit everything on straight needles rather then in the round on double pointed needles. Maybe I am just against seams, but they always tend to turn out messy.  But switching the pattern to knitting in the round was very easy and not a pain at all.
A great point about this book is that most of the patterns can be made with any yarn and any size needle.  
They aren't projects, they are quickies. 
Which can be the best sometimes.
Thanks!