Friday, July 26, 2013

Dr. Who?

For as long as I can remember I have known about Dr. Who.  I have no idea where or when I was first introduced to the show, I do know that it was during the time of Dr. #10.  So, it hasn't been that long.
But, it wasn't until recently that I actually sat down and watched the show.
Needless to say, I have no idea why I waited so long.

During my foray into the fandom of Dr. Who, I have stumbled upon something wonderful.
There are a lot of knitters who like Dr. Who.
And they make amazing things like this:


A crazy blanket pattern that is FREE (whaaaat) on Ravelry.

Or this scarf


Which has been recreated many, many times.
It has also probably slain more knitters than we can count, with its length and never ending rows of garter stitch.

I decided to join all of these brave knitters.
Because, you really can't expect to be a knitter and not have made your self some sort of Dr. Who memorabilia.
My attempts have currently become my favorite knitted piece I have ever crafted.


I had to frog this hat several times.
But it was worth it.
It is a perfect fit, length, color, everything!


I borrowed the TARDIS, weeping angels, bow ties, and cyber men from this fair isle chart.
I did the words myself.  They read "I'm the Doctor"
Yeah.


I used a stranded color method.  I did not wrap my floats... shame on me.
I don't really care all that much though.  It is a hat on my head, the likely hood of the floats catching on anything (even though they are miles long) is very slim.
To block, I went the dangerous route.  Since I don't have a blocking board, or pins, or anything really.
I use the steam mode on my iron.
Yep. I iron my color work.
I suggest never doing this.  It is a huge risk.  Your yarn could hate the heat and moisture, it could stretch out too much, you could snag your work with the tip of the iron... I don't know! A lot of things could happen.
But I have found that it works for me.  I have an amazing iron and my color work is usually not on a sweater.
Plus, the huge bonus to ironing is that it flattens and holds all the floats neatly in place.
No sagging, nothing.

It is great.

So, there you have it.
My very lovely Dr. Who hat.

Now onto other things. 
As you can see I have posted an Etsy "Mini" on my side bar.
Go take a look!
I am trying to get more into making smaller things, such as hair accessories and pins.
Stuff like this:

It is a little bow!


See! I think it is very cute.

I also posted another sock pattern in Ravelry.


Nannerl

This one does cost money.
I am not quite sure how that is going to go down.
I do really like posting things for free.
But I am also interested in seeing where I can go with designing and getting something in return (I mean other then the amazing feeling of seeing other people happily knitting some you came up with!)
Plus, I really like the idea of selling patterns, rather then knitted items.
And Ravelry is such an awesome community for knitters.
If you don't have one.
GET ONE.

Alrighty.
I think that is it for now.

Allons-y!