Friday, August 2, 2013

Stuck On Socks

Socks.
Socks.
Socks.
It has become my mantra.

I am completely enamored with knitting and designing socks.
I just can't seem to get bored with them.
The possibilities are endless.
Plus, I still have a good deal of sock yarn to work with :)

Oy.
Only one problem has arisen with the whole sock ordeal.
I find myself knitting only one.
And then I am on to designing the next pair.
I'm pretty sure that is not the best way to go about things.
But then again, I have found it works itself out.  I can knit the sock fast, design the elements I want, then write up a mock pattern, and when I knit the second sock fix any imperfections.
So, all in all, it really isn't a flaw.

Here is the next pattern I hope to have up in Ravelry soon.


The Tree Of Life.
I think its a pretty neat design.



I really wanted to elaborate on the cabling, but I found that sticking to a simpler design brought more to the sock.
They are knitted toe up, and I kept the ankle on the shorter side, because I am fond of shorter socks.  If they come to a certain part of your ankle it can look very unflattering.
I thought I would hate the k1, p3 ribbing, but I think it looks great, and it gives the sock a cozy quality that is really nice.
I am sure that I could recreate this design to make a cleaner, sharper cable.
But once again, I feel like taking the safe road and not going crazy is a good idea.

So, if you like these, check out my Ravelry shop in a few weeks, a pattern should be up.
At least as soon as I can decide on how I would like to lay out the cable pattern. 
I am stuck between written and a chart.
It might end up being both.

And now for a shameless promotion:
Here are the little bows I added to my Etsy!
They are cute and adorable, go check them out :)


And now for an update on other stuff...
(note: if just want to see quick updates on what I make just go to Tumblr.)

A little piece that I frogged.


I had planned on making some Dr. Who themed hand warmers, but decided against it.
The mosaic pattern is totally awesome though, I hope to incorporate it back into another design, something along the lines of "Bow ties are cool".

Look more socks!


Recreating an sock design (in pink!) 
Wheat ear cable... some shnazzy lace...
Only, I am stuck trying to figure out how to make them amazing, rather then just mediocre.
I will get back to you all on that.

Alrighty
Thats enough.
I better start writing my resume so I can get a real job and stop obsessing over socks.
Peace.


P.S. I started reading the second installment in Cornelia Funke's series "Mirrorworld"
It is even better then the first.
People who enjoy fantasy/fairytale books, check them out!
I am trying to not finish it in one go.
Savoring books is so difficult.