Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Great Mystery of Shawls.

So the other day I watched this movie
Mozart's Sister.
Good movie over all, French, period drama, fictionalized life story of a real person etc.
Yup, the whole entire movie was fiction.
Based on about two real facts of Nannerl Mozart's life.
It kinda made me upset.
But I don't want to discuss a movie...
I want to discuss what I saw in that movie.

I saw this:

This light and airy shawl that seems to come from another world.
I have no idea what it is made from, there is no good photo or scene in the movie to tell if it is knitting or spun by fairies or something.
I have been dreaming about making this.
No matter how hard I try to just forget about this shawl I can't.

Usually when I see pretty hand knit shawls I'm like, "Well, thats cool, a lot of hard work, that person is a talented knitter, because lace can suck sometimes, but when would I ever wear a shawl?"
I would wear this.
I would never take it off.
I would sleep with it.  No matter how hot I got.

So, I guess you get the idea.
I am a bit obsessed.

Since the movie is so small budget and French finding anything online is impossible. 
So, if any of you know anything about shawls, TELL ME.


Just look at its perfect frothiness.

Ok. While we are on this subject of Mozart's Sister.  There were a few other pieces in that movie that caught my eye.  She also wears this little crocheted or knitted night jacket/bolero that is really adorable.  I don't know if I would ever want to make it and wear it, but it has excellent shape and thats what caught my eye.  Sadly, there were no good pictures of it online.
As well as the bolero, I caught sight of some lace edging on some bed sheets.  
They had used something that looked like the honey bee stitch.
I thought it looked darling, and if I ever make curtains or fancy pillow cases I am going to use that stitch.


Granted not in this terrible color.

Well, other than my obsession with French design from the 1700's, I am still working on the Dr. Who hat.  


I have progressed slightly farther then this.
I have my worries about when it comes time to block the thing.
I have this deep sense of dread that some of the stranding on the back wont stretch enough and it won't block well and its just going to be a mess.
Here is to crossing my fingers.
It has been a great distraction from writing any socks patterns!

Lastly, I reopened my Etsy shop a few days ago.  
I have a lot of work to do if I want it to be successful in anyway, so I am trying to learn as much as I can this time around.  Reading articles, and figuring out ways to improve on my business skills and what not. 

Cool. 
I am off to research knitted shawls for another evening.
Tootles!